PDA

View Full Version : new tranny

tkrrox
08-24-2008, 05:03 AM
i have a f-250 7.3 with 135k on it and on my last trip out with trailer i smoked the tranny....sooo....i paid 3k on a new one built HD w/ all the bells and whistles....including a shift kit.....so my question is when you have a tranny done what should i expect? i got it back and when i run it, it feels like the the shifts are smooth, but not solid and quick...is that normal or should i expect MORE solid shifts????.....And how long do i have to wait until i can tow again with this truck?
thanks taryn kelley

shadow
08-24-2008, 05:09 AM
I wouldn't expect much in the way of answers other then smart assed stupid posts about your Ford here -
try thedieselstop.com for your Ford answers.
I don't know much about the rebuilt tranny's but my brothers had his done on his 99 with the 7.3, and IIRC it shifts really solid.

SoCal
08-24-2008, 05:10 AM
I wouldn't expect much in the way of answers other then smart assed stupid posts about your Ford here -
try thedieselstop.com for your Ford answers.
I don't know much about the rebuilt tranny's but my brothers had his done on his 99 with the 7.3, and IIRC it shifts really solid.

Not totally true. :bs:

shadow
08-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Not totally true. :bs:

sure, the chebby cheer crew will be in here in no time saying how their trucks have never had a tranny problem and the only reasons they've ever seen a dealer was to pick up some wax - or some other complete bullshit like that.

tkrrox
08-24-2008, 05:13 AM
hey thanks for the input...it does feel okay, but i think what might be throwing me off is that before the torque converter was fried along with the clutches, and it would shift hard and chirp hard into second under power.....now there no firmness under load....

SoCal
08-24-2008, 05:34 AM
sure, the chebby cheer crew will be in here in no time saying how their trucks have never had a tranny problem and the only reasons they've ever seen a dealer was to pick up some wax - or some other complete bullshit like that.

Well its not :bs: And I usually stay out until provoked.

shadow
08-24-2008, 05:44 AM
Well its not :bs: And I usually stay out until provoked.

I'm not going to get involved in any of the :bs: anymore - its gotten way too thick in here, and unproductive - and at one time was fun, but even that has went by the wayside. I only posted what I did here because the guy wants some solid answers and he won't find em here. Even you'll admidt once half the clowns here see this the bashing will start.

JJ
08-24-2008, 05:45 AM
The ones to ask are the people that did the trans.

Normally there is no break in period for a trans but again the ones to ask are the people that did the trans.

Oh, and pay no attention to those two kids having their own pity party on your thread. They mean well but are stuck or the Ford vs Chevy battle.

shadow
08-24-2008, 05:50 AM
ROFL Jeff,
I pointed him towards a board that would have better answers for him.
But your are right, I'd definatly ask the guys who rebuilt it for some answers.

tkrrox
08-24-2008, 06:07 AM
he's been working on my old man's truck for the last 5yrs.... and gave me a warrantee....i just wanted to know if that is the normal feel????

JJ
08-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Hook on to your trailer for a short pull you will know right a way if it's OK or not.

most of the time when you do a shift kit you get a harder shift but some of the kits have been able to soften up the shift and still make the kit do all the things you need it to do.

pronstar
08-24-2008, 06:43 AM
I would expect firm, crisp shifts from a performance rebuild.

shadow
08-24-2008, 06:52 AM
I'm concerned about how strong you want it to shift when pulling a trailer though - if its strong enough to bark the tires, I fear for the u-joints when pulling 14K lbs.

skyjammer0
08-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Chevy owner here!
Sounds like you got a good bit of mileage out of the transmission, especially if you tow with it a lot, which can be hard on a transmission.
I wouldn't think that there would be a break in period for the new tranny. When you buy a new truck, they don't say you shouldn't tow with it. What they do say is to take it a bit easy for a while, let it settle.
If you didn't buy the truck new, then you wouldn't know how the tranny would have felt new, and this is a different one anyway, so if you have the warranty, I wouldn't worry about it.
I would say that you've done good with the mileage you have on it. any vehicle with that kind of mileage has potential for problems. Sounds like you have a good solid truck there. Hopefully your not towing above it's capacity.
And as Larry says above, hard shifts could be worrisome.
Good luck.
From a GMC owner (who doesn't really believe that one brand is superior to the other. As a matter of fact, GMC's have issues that Fords don't)

Jay
08-24-2008, 01:23 PM
I have a 2000 F250 that lost a tranny at about 100K miles. Keep in mind 80K of those were towing miles. Anyhow, the truck now has 180K miles after a new tranny was put in and every bit of that has been towing my 15K trailer. Still shifts solid. The Ford dealer in Bishop put it in and I towed our trailer home right away. Definitely drop the pan and change the filter after a few miles.

Ricky Bobby
08-24-2008, 02:30 PM
I had a Camero that, after a tranny rebuild lost a lot of performance. Would not spin the tires on wet pavement while turning right (the easiest way to do it) and over all performance was gone. I took it back, seems the tech had some wrong springs or something.... maybe it was the valves. Long story short, it finally got back to it's original feel, just took a few trips back to the shop. For that kind of coin, don't settle for anything less than you being happy with it. Trans are complex, tech might have missed something.

J.T.
08-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Smmoth SHifts are Brutal on the Transmission when pulling heavy loads, smooth shifts means slipage which equals heat, firm shifts are less clutch slippage less heat. I would take the truck to the guy and talk to him some more

ssduane
08-24-2008, 04:28 PM
You should have nice firm shifts out of the tranny. For 3 grand though, it sounds like you just got a rebuild and a stock convertor installed. The stock convertors are a week point and from what I've researched/seen, the triple disc convertors are the way to go.

The shifting firmness can be adjusted, even in while in the truck. Talk to the mech and see if he can raise the shift firmness.

another GM owner here, not bashing.

tkrrox
08-24-2008, 06:12 PM
i will talk to him tomorrow...supposedly it's a billet TC not a stocker...i was just surprised at the smoothness...i was expecting firmer, solid shifts...also yesterday i did 120mile trip and the trans temp stayed about 20* hotter than before....right at 180-190...where as before it with no load i was at 160-170

J.T.
08-24-2008, 07:20 PM
definitly need to take it back to the guy, One thing you didnt mention you got the 4r100 or the E40D

diirk
08-24-2008, 08:19 PM
I'd be interested in the specs on the new tranny. What HD components? What type of shift kit? Valve body? Billet pieces?

I'm planning to have to rebuild mine eventually, since I'm planning to be buried in my truck...

Oh yeah, and I have a Dodge, and avoid most of the whiny my shit is better then your shit stuff that goes on....

tkrrox
08-24-2008, 10:01 PM
i'm going to find out the list of parts....\

it's a 4r100

and like it say, when i got it the tranny was tired but for the price i went with it...so every since i've owned it it's been clanking and slamming into gear...
so i don't have a clue what to rate it against....