PDA

View Full Version : Landing gear problems again.

skyjammer0
07-26-2008, 03:15 AM
Lat trip to Gorman, went to put down my gear, and motor stopped. This time I knew about the fuse, and I replaced it. Pop! Replaced it again. Pop! This went on over and over. Felt the motor, it felt too hot. Checked the bolts, they were all secure (last motor, 2 of the bolts had worked loose). Checked the wire connections where they screw in. One was a bit loose, so I tightened it. Still was popping fuses. Tried putting a cold pack on the motor to keep it cool. Didn't help. Checked the exposed wires, didn't see any indication of burns. What now?

jackxclan
07-26-2008, 03:16 AM
New trailer :ass:
I think you need a slightly used late model tag trailer.

ssduane
07-26-2008, 03:38 AM
Sounds like you need a new motor. I had to replace mine once already, from overtorquing it during a trip where we were pretty angled and I think I started lifting the truck (pretty badly). These things aren't cheap mind you either, can't find just the motor, have to buy the motor and gear box, for about 180 bucks.

Hockymom63
07-26-2008, 03:41 AM
New trailer :ass:
I think you need a slightly used late model tag trailer.

Never tagging again! 5er all the way!!

skyjammer0
07-26-2008, 03:41 AM
It was brand new in November. I sure hope they don't go bad that fast! If that is the case, are they easy to replace?

Wanna trade, Mark?

jackxclan
07-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Trade! hell yours is a lemon:vik:

skyjammer0
07-26-2008, 04:12 AM
A lemon for a turd? Sounds like that would be a good deal for you. Then you could take that lemon and sh...........

jackxclan
07-26-2008, 04:18 AM
Thats all I need is a lemon RapTURD

Big Buford
07-26-2008, 04:22 AM
ever check into hydraulic landing gear? Might be a good way to go if it's not too expensive

Hockymom63
07-26-2008, 04:25 AM
ever check into hydraulic landing gear? Might be a good way to go if it's not too expensive

I think our "super slide" is hydraulic, In batt. compartment is some containers that look like oil is in them wonder why the cheezy little motor for the gear that holds up my rolling condo????

skyjammer0
07-26-2008, 04:56 AM
How about I just get a heavy duty ratchet driver?

shadow
07-26-2008, 05:31 AM
didn't yours come with the backup hand crank ??
maybe time to break that out and get to work :D

I'd start with checking the voltage at the motor - without getting in too deep, if the motor requires 200 watt of power to run, at 14.0 volts it will draw 14.28 amps, but if your batteries are down to 10.5 volts, the same motor will draw 19.04 amps. Lower voltage causes the motor to work harder. What size fuses are you blowing ?

Hockymom63
07-26-2008, 05:33 AM

I'd start with checking the voltage at the motor - without getting in too deep, if the motor requires 200 watt of power to run, at 14.0 volts it will draw 14.28 amps, but if your batteries are down to 10.5 volts, the same motor will draw 19.04 amps. Lower voltage causes the motor to work harder. What size fuses are you blowing ?

We did that actually! The fuses were 30's

Strabo
07-26-2008, 05:34 AM
You have over extended it Toe, now Mr Murphy is fucking wit you.....

Time 2 Sell.....:pop::pop:

Hockymom63
07-26-2008, 05:35 AM
You have over extended it Toe, now Mr Murphy is fucking wit you.....

Time 2 Sell.....:pop::pop:

Hell no that puppy is paid for!!

shadow
07-26-2008, 05:39 AM
if you want, I can check it out for you at pismo

skyjammer0
07-26-2008, 05:39 AM

Ok Larry, after you get to Pismo, turn around and head back down here, and we'll go over to the yard and check it out.

Ok, and how do u check this sort of stuff?
When ever we pick up the hauler, the batteries are always dead, dead, dead. (No, no cut-off switch). By the time we get to where we are going, batteries are charged enough (usually) to start Mr. Generator. I did that, and was running it while jacking off, I mean jacking up the trailer. After I gave up, I shut Mr. Generator down. That evening, we had a couple of lights on, and before u know it, the batteries were too low to start Mr. Generator. Rich came to the rescue with a jumper, and then we didn't have the low battery problem again. I just don't know how to check this sort of thing out.
And we did use Mr. Hand-crank, but that was harder than fuck. Does that in itself indicate a problem?

shadow
07-26-2008, 05:48 AM
I'll help you out at JV - we'll check out your electrical system and see what the problem is.
I always have my meter with me.

Strabo
07-26-2008, 06:40 AM
I think your Batt-Pac is gone, time to replace them Terry. They do not give enough juice, so they blow a fuse when tested at camp....

MHO.....Simple fix Bro.

shadow
07-26-2008, 06:43 AM
I think your Batt-Pac is gone, time to replace them Terry. They do not give enough juice, so they blow a fuse when tested at camp....

MHO.....Simple fix Bro.

gotta see if there is something causing the batterys to go dead - there may be other issues. We can do some testing and figure it out pretty easy. Wish I would have known for Gorman, could have done some trouble shooting.

Strabo
07-26-2008, 06:45 AM
gotta see if there is something causing the batterys to go dead - there may be other issues. We can do some testing and figure it out pretty easy. Wish I would have known for Gorman, could have done some trouble shooting.

My theroy sounds plauseable.....

shadow
07-26-2008, 06:51 AM
My theroy sounds plauseable.....

your right, battery's are done. After you've completely discharged them, they are history. But if there is something else wrong and you don't correct it, you just keep toasting batterys.

J.T.
07-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Does the landing gear Motors have Brushes? or are they brushless.

Also, Stereos and sensors will kill a coach when in storage,

You can add your own disconnect. or Just Disconnect the Positive wire when you store it

EagleOne
07-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Mr. Hand-crank, but that was harder than fuck. Does that in itself indicate a problem?

thats likely - If the mechanics have seized up, this will help to Burn the motor out. I don't really know how its set up "So just an idea WD40. Also they still rebuild motors like they did in the old days... Before we turned into thow it away and get another one. So try that route before buying a N'mot&drive from the Bastards.

sounds like Shadow knows his Stuff. :jel:

skyjammer0
07-27-2008, 03:53 AM
As far as the batteries go, they are always completely dead when I pick up the trailer. Is this a common deal with TH's?

CrazyTed
07-27-2008, 05:50 PM
It's a common deal with toy haulers that don't have a disconnect switch. The LP and any other detectors will be drawing power the entire time. Any other appliance that's plugged in will also draw voltage. Take the battery cable off or install your own disconnect switch to shut it down while in storage.

skyjammer0
07-28-2008, 12:37 AM
So I need to batteries then? Once charged, they seem to hold ok, but I don't have a tester to test out that theory. Would that be step one in checking the landing gear motor? And where and what kind of batteries would I need? I got one of those sealed lead batteries from Mark. Would that work? Gosh, full of questions are I? Or am I just full of shit?

jws
07-28-2008, 12:44 AM
So I need to batteries then? Once charged, they seem to hold ok, but I don't have a tester to test out that theory. Would that be step one in checking the landing gear motor? And where and what kind of batteries would I need? I got one of those sealed lead batteries from Mark. Would that work? Gosh, full of questions are I? Or am I just full of shit?

You need to buy a battery tester:rrc:

DigzDodge
07-28-2008, 04:09 AM
:rrc:

shadow
07-28-2008, 04:42 AM
I'll get you setup at JV - my fee ---> bottle of Crown Royal

J.T.
07-28-2008, 04:55 AM
First Thing You Need To Do Is Buy A Disconnect,

Second Thing Is Install It

Third, Fully Charge The Battery And Test The Landing Gear

shadow
07-28-2008, 04:59 AM
I suspect there is a disconnect, they just haven't found it. Mine was hidden on my trailer.
We'll check and see if there is a draw somewhere.