PDA

View Full Version : 2nd

lq9hd
12-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Where do I mount my second seven way? If its in the bed how the hell am I suppose to get to it with the camper in the box?

DirtyRat
12-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Remove and reroute to the side of the hitch under the rear bumper, might need a bracket to mount it.

campermama
12-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Mine is not in the bed, did not want a hole in the bed for a plug. It is up front between the cab and front bed rail....I can post a pic tomorrow if you want.

Big Buford
12-20-2013, 12:58 AM
http://www.etrailer.com/product.aspx?pc=41157&hunter=Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring&fmake=GMC&fmodel=Sierra&fyear=2004&vehicleid=200414976#prod-acc-onlyreviews

lq9hd
12-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Mine is not in the bed, did not want a hole in the bed for a plug. It is up front between the cab and front bed rail....I can post a pic tomorrow if you want.

Yes, please.

QH
12-20-2013, 02:30 AM
Yes, please.

X2

lq9hd
12-20-2013, 02:35 AM
http://www.etrailer.com/product.aspx?pc=41157&hunter=Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring&fmake=GMC&fmodel=Sierra&fyear=2004&vehicleid=200414976#prod-acc-onlyreviews

Nice, but I think I have factory wiring tied up between the cab and box (drivers side) for 5er or camper. Might just need a 7 pole plug and a location to mount.

QH
12-20-2013, 06:25 AM
Nice, but I think I have factory wiring tied up between the cab and box (drivers side) for 5er or camper. Might just need a 7 pole plug and a location to mount.

Check out the wiring extensions they show at the end of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqjCheg3UbQ

My 5th wheel plug is just inside my bed on the driver side. Seems like the triple extension in the vid would have me all set for truck, camper and trailer?

campermama
12-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Here ya go Mikey.....my camper is usually always on the truck more then it is off so having it this way works for me.......

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/fuerza_photos/2013-12-20_12-57-34_978_zps2a95a1cd.jpg

Or this way.....

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/fuerza_photos/2013-12-20_12-58-23_22_zpsace842e9.jpg

QH
12-20-2013, 08:25 PM
That's a big dongle :eek:

J.T.
12-20-2013, 08:35 PM
http://www.ezconnector.com/ I liked this one

campermama
12-20-2013, 08:36 PM

:dude:

CHAIN_DOGG
12-20-2013, 08:44 PM

:boob:

sin cal hd
12-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Hey Mikey. Didnt your duramax have the camper 7 way infront of the D/S rear tire. There should be a box or a group of wire there for this reason. Its called the camper option or some bs. Bob check yours too. I know you have a newer model but it might be there. It will be on the inside of the frame rail.

If the wires are there you will need to put the 7 way plug. My dad had it on his 06 duramx.

sin cal hd
12-20-2013, 10:54 PM
http://www.ezconnector.com/ I liked this one

Thats nice.

lq9hd
12-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Here ya go Mikey.....my camper is usually always on the truck more then it is off so having it this way works for me.......

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/fuerza_photos/2013-12-20_12-57-34_978_zps2a95a1cd.jpg

Or this way.....

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t132/fuerza_photos/2013-12-20_12-58-23_22_zpsace842e9.jpg

Thanks Stace!

lq9hd
12-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Hey Mikey. Didnt your duramax have the camper 7 way infront of the D/S rear tire. There should be a box or a group of wire there for this reason. Its called the camper option or some bs. Bob check yours too. I know you have a newer model but it might be there. It will be on the inside of the frame rail.

If the wires are there you will need to put the 7 way plug. My dad had it on his 06 duramx.

Yes, its on the frame in between the cab and box.

Not sure where to mount the connector to. Kind of worried about clearance if I mount it in the box.

Where did your dad mount his?

sin cal hd
12-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Yes, its on the frame in between the cab and box.

Not sure where to mount the connector to. Kind of worried about clearance if I mount it in the box.

Where did your dad mount his?

We ran the 7 way plug into the bed for his 5th wheel. Just mount yours on the outside of the frame.

You dont even need the 7 way do you? Aren't you setting up for tail lights? Can you use a standard 4 way or 5 way pig tail?

lq9hd
12-21-2013, 12:11 AM
We ran the 7 way plug into the bed for his 5th wheel. Just mount yours on the outside of the frame.

You dont even need the 7 way do you? Aren't you setting up for tail lights?

Oh, I thought he ran it inside his box for a camper.

I don't need a 7 way, but the camper came with a 7 way plug on it already.

Whats cracking? The last time we met up was for coffee in SJ two years ago.

Big Buford
12-21-2013, 12:48 AM

Shit! I bought that whole plug together pigtail setup a few years ago. Will have to look at mine tomorrow :buford:

sin cal hd
12-21-2013, 12:49 AM
2 years? That was the best damn coffee. Im up in the Bay 3 times a week now. Finishing deliveries in SJ on thursdays.

What about you? What part of So Cal?

sin cal hd
12-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Shit! I bought that whole plug together pigtail setup a few years ago. Will have to look at mine tomorrow :buford:

You still need plug. I think it is just a cluster of like 10' of wiring.

J.T.
12-21-2013, 01:16 AM
Shit I live 15 minutes from Larry and never see him lol

lq9hd
12-21-2013, 01:33 AM
2 years? That was the best damn coffee. Im up in the Bay 3 times a week now. Finishing deliveries in SJ on thursdays.

What about you? What part of So Cal?

I think it was about two years ago. Damn strait, great cup of joe.

I'm in Temple City next to Santa Anita race track.

lq9hd
12-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Shit I live 15 minutes from Larry and never see him lol

He's to cool for us old folk:vib:

lq9hd
12-21-2013, 01:36 AM
According to the interwebs, a lot of peeps mount the socket in front of the wheel well DS.

sin cal hd
12-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Im barely older than you. I remember you saying you were out there. I thought about coming home today from out there. If I finish up out that way one day I will hit you up. Im in socal sometimes once a week now.

I wasnt talking about the cup of joe's. I was talking bout the hoe's.

JT I get home try and get a nap in before I pick up the boys from the bus and my day is done. I do nothing all week and catch up on weekend. Hell we've been here 4 years and I barely put sprinklers in. Cant plant seed cause its to cold. Its chore weekend every weekend

QH
12-21-2013, 01:42 AM
Dude dropped off camper tonight and insisted I run the Lance plug and not a 7 pin. Something to do with gauge of wire for charging camper batteries??

lq9hd
12-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Im barely older than you. I remember you saying you were out there. I thought about coming home today from out there. If I finish up out that way one day I will hit you up. Im in socal sometimes once a week now.

JT I get home try and get a nap in before I pick up the boys from the bus and my day is done. I do nothing all week and catch up on weekend. Hell we've been here 4 years and I barely put sprinklers in. Cant plant seed cause its to cold. Its chore weekend every weekend

I know, just fucking with you. I wasnt talking about the Joe either:strip: Hit me up when your down south. I'll PM my new number.

lq9hd
12-21-2013, 02:03 AM
Dude dropped off camper tonight and insisted I run the Lance plug and not a 7 pin. Something to do with gauge of wire for charging camper batteries??

I think Lances' proprietary plug has 8ga power and ground. I've seen people modding standard 7 ways for heavier gauge.

I wonder how much Lance wants for their wiring kit?

Big Buford
12-21-2013, 02:27 AM

Only way it would make a diffrence is to run heavy ga charge wire all the way to truck batt or alt output.

QH
12-21-2013, 02:42 AM
Only way it would make a diffrence is to run heavy ga charge wire all the way to truck batt or alt output.

I'm seriously electrically challenged so I have no clue Mark. I think you and he are saying the same thing. Does that make sense? He was adamant about using the Lance plug though and not a 7 pin and he was an impressive kid as far as knowing his stuff goes.

lq9hd
12-21-2013, 03:23 AM
I'm seriously electrically challenged so I have no clue Mark. I think you and he are saying the same thing. Does that make sense? He was adamant about using the Lance plug though and not a 7 pin and he was an impressive kid as far as knowing his stuff goes.

Here is what you need:

http://www.adventurerv.net/lance-6wire-plug-truck-side-p-1484.html

This is the first site I found it on, so shop around for it. 8ga power goes directly to the battery. Dont forget to put a battery solenoid isolator in between so you dont drain your starting batts.

Big Buford
12-21-2013, 04:14 AM
Only other thing to concider is the contacts in the plug itself. That might be why he was insistant on using the lance connector. If using 8ga wire and wanting to push some pretty good amps you need a good large tight connection. Mike is also correct on needing an isolator if there isnt one on the camper already.

Dont know if that is a lance connector mike posted ie OE or a lower grade after market unit?

Me personally, if i had solar and a onboard/portable gen, I would just cut off the lance plug on the camper and wire up a standard 7 pin and unplug it when i got to my destination. If you want to recharge batts from truck I'd use lance plug direct to battery with isolator.

Big Buford
12-21-2013, 04:16 AM
Maybe howie will chime in, sure he knows more about it than me :pop:

truggyboy
12-21-2013, 05:39 AM
I know, just fucking with you. I wasnt talking about the Joe either:strip: Hit me up when your down south. I'll PM my new number.

You gonna pm me your new # too :ass:

56Nomad
12-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Mike,

I'm still pretty fucked up from drugs today and a nice couple of brandy and cokes tonight.
Give me a call tomorrow after 10:00 am and I can walk you through the best options. 831-688-0423

First, no need to spend money on Lance plugs....... I just tapped into my existing truck trailer harness and installed Pollack plugs. I would stay with the wire size that Lance recommends: http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12706.html

I've always drilled a hole (what ever the required size is) in the left front interior side of the bed metal to hold the female connector and run my camper wires to it. Stacey took the easy way out.

I've also ran a red power line from the truck battery with a qizmo that runs power to the camper batteries when the truck engine is running....... but shuts off when the truck is shut down....... come on Hoolies, I'm half in the can and can't remember what that gizmo is called? You don't want the truck batteries charging the camper batteries :buford:

J.T.
12-21-2013, 02:39 PM

San Jose coffee was fun. Dinner. Is even better.

Larry just giving you shit brother. Life evolves around work. Around here as well.

CHAIN_DOGG
12-21-2013, 02:43 PM
I would run a number 8 ground wire also, without this, you got nuttin honey. Just a thought. Also, I was Just wondering if you hook up the reverse lights on these rigs ?

QH
12-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Only other thing to concider is the contacts in the plug itself. That might be why he was insistant on using the lance connector. If using 8ga wire and wanting to push some pretty good amps you need a good large tight connection. Mike is also correct on needing an isolator if there isnt one on the camper already.

Dont know if that is a lance connector mike posted ie OE or a lower grade after market unit?

Me personally, if i had solar and a onboard/portable gen, I would just cut off the lance plug on the camper and wire up a standard 7 pin and unplug it when i got to my destination. If you want to recharge batts from truck I'd use lance plug direct to battery with isolator.

If I remember correctly he said use the Lance plug because it was 6ga and that would allow the camper batteries to charge while driving??? Fuck I don't know, it's all like a foreign language I barely understand... If the Lance plug Mikey posted is $35 why wouldn't I just get that? Are you guys saying switching to 7 pin is better?

56Nomad
12-21-2013, 05:54 PM
More options: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oxCW6Nc_w4

Big Buford
12-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Bob, do you have any info on the solar? How many watts the system is ?

QH
12-21-2013, 06:16 PM
More options: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oxCW6Nc_w4

Those are the ones I liked at the end of the video I posted earlier. I like the triple connection.

QH
12-21-2013, 06:22 PM

Yes, guy gave me two binders full of stuff on the camper. Owners manual to awning manual and everything in between. Will check on solar info when I get home. Picking up saw horses to set it on. I know the solar setup includes a legit info panel mounted inside with blinking lights and a digital readout. Panels on top are huge. Once I get it securely settled, I'll take good pics...

QH
12-21-2013, 07:39 PM

Looks like I have two- 48x21 panels. Each is rated @ 80 Watts, 4.67 amps and 17.3 volts. Is that good? Kid told me he rarely used genny...

Big Buford
12-21-2013, 08:05 PM
160 watts will damn sure get it done :vib: I guess to do it right one would increase the size of the charge wire to camper. But, with solar and a genny onboard I wouldnt get worked up about wiring to truck. I'd get the plug together kit and call it a day. I would add the isolator if it doesnt have one.

QH
12-21-2013, 08:56 PM
160 watts will damn sure get it done :vib: I guess to do it right one would increase the size of the charge wire to camper. But, with solar and a genny onboard I wouldnt get worked up about wiring to truck. I'd get the plug together kit and call it a day. I would add the isolator if it doesnt have one.

I could tell the kid was anal and did everything legit. I have an isolator owners manual in the aftermarket binder, but that's probably on his truck, right?

Big Buford
12-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Last camper I had was a 1971 amerigo lol, dont know if the new ones have um or not? Possible he wired in inside the camper I'd call him and ask.

QH
12-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Last camper I had was a 1971 amerigo lol, dont know if the new ones have um or not? Possible he wired in inside the camper I'd call him and ask.

Got a feeling me and the kid are going to be buds. He uses an XP for prerunning and wants to go out on trips with us. Coming by the shop to check it out and drop off a cutting board that fits over sink so I'll pick his brain about the isolater then.

lq9hd
12-22-2013, 04:11 AM
Mike,

I'm still pretty fucked up from drugs today and a nice couple of brandy and cokes tonight.
Give me a call tomorrow after 10:00 am and I can walk you through the best options. 831-688-0423

First, no need to spend money on Lance plugs....... I just tapped into my existing truck trailer harness and installed Pollack plugs. I would stay with the wire size that Lance recommends: http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12706.html

I've always drilled a hole (what ever the required size is) in the left front interior side of the bed metal to hold the female connector and run my camper wires to it. Stacey took the easy way out.

I've also ran a red power line from the truck battery with a qizmo that runs power to the camper batteries when the truck engine is running....... but shuts off when the truck is shut down....... come on Hoolies, I'm half in the can and can't remember what that gizmo is called? You don't want the truck batteries charging the camper batteries :buford:

Just got it, I'll try you in the AM.

lq9hd
12-22-2013, 04:26 AM
If I remember correctly he said use the Lance plug because it was 6ga and that would allow the camper batteries to charge while driving??? Fuck I don't know, it's all like a foreign language I barely understand... If the Lance plug Mikey posted is $35 why wouldn't I just get that? Are you guys saying switching to 7 pin is better?

Not saying better... But dont you have a 7 way socket in your bed for your 5er already?

Besides needing the heavier gauge power and ground for charging your batts the most draw will come from running your 3 way fridge
(if equipped) on 12V. Like BB said, if your solar can run your camper "fridge" cut that bitch off and put a regular 7 way plug on it. $9 for the plug vs. $35.