PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Bearings

high desert
02-10-2013, 06:44 AM
I'm in the process of replacing the carrier bearings in my Outlaw. The bearings I removed wore out faster than I expected, and of course, the oem bearings were made in China.
So, doing some research into a quality and hopefully made in America replacement, it appears even name brand bearings such as SKF and Timken are now made in China.
Is it worth spending the extra $$$ for a name brand when they are manufactured in China, or would I be better off replacing them with cheeper China bearings and just plan on replacing them often?
I'm looking for two 6014-2RS bearings which are 70mm i.d. 110mm o.d. and the width is 20mm and are sealed bearings.
There is a mod for the Outlaw carrier where the inner bearing seal is removed and a zerk is added to the carrier in order to keep them greased and hopefully increase longevity. Would you do this mod, and if you did would you still pay the extra $$$ for a name brand bearing that is now manufactured in China?
What are your experiences with name brand Chinese manufactured bearings?
Anyone know a reputable supplier? I've read a lot about counterfeit bearings even from large retailers.

Opinions?

2BH
02-10-2013, 01:44 PM
The bearings wore out on your outlaw after 4 years??? Thats total :bs: shouldn't be!

jws
02-10-2013, 02:02 PM
were the intake valves tight???\:vib::vib::vib::vib:

J.T.
02-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Stick with name brAnd. And if it is sealed. Leave it sealed. Once you break that seal you have to really stay on top of it

Mustard Gas
02-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Wes if you wash your Quad with a pressure washer that takes away 30% of your bearing life. Pressure washing will actually force small amounts of dirt into the bearing causing it to fail over time.

The brand name bearing are much better even if they are made in China. They are manufactured and inspected to a higher standard than the lower priced bearings.

Go with the better bearing and totally sealed.

2BH
02-10-2013, 05:59 PM
were the intake valves tight???\:vib::vib::vib::vib::ass::buford:

jws
02-10-2013, 06:10 PM
:ass::buford:

:sex::anl::condom::strip::strip::strip:

2BH
02-10-2013, 06:19 PM
:sex::anl::condom::strip::strip::strip:

want sum penis?

Mustard Gas
02-11-2013, 02:10 AM
want sum penis?

More like Little Smokies........:socal2:

high desert
02-11-2013, 02:20 AM
The bearings wore out on your outlaw after 4 years??? Thats total :bs: shouldn't be!

Yep, totally sucks. I won't be using OEM bearings when I put it back together.

high desert
02-11-2013, 02:21 AM
Wes if you wash your Quad with a pressure washer that takes away 30% of your bearing life. Pressure washing will actually force small amounts of dirt into the bearing causing it to fail over time.

The brand name bearing are much better even if they are made in China. They are manufactured and inspected to a higher standard than the lower priced bearings.

Carrier bearing failures are a known issue on outlaw IRS quads. I've power washed it a couple of times, but mostly hand wash it.
I know a lot of factory teams have done the zerk mod, but I think the consensus here is correct and will stick with quality sealed bearings. Think I'll go with SKF.

Thanks for the help everyone! :vib::vib::vib:

2BH
02-11-2013, 02:26 AM
More like Little Smokies........:socal2:

...actually, more like Mini Wini's. Brined german sausage are packed for a mini sausage fest

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimages/NF1129311S.jpg

Big Buford
02-11-2013, 02:56 AM

To expand on this, China has all the proper equipment to make exact tolerance parts. Where they shave the price is in quality of materials or skipping steps in the manufacturing process to increase their profits and lower the cost of an item.

Good example is Dennis flatbed trailer. The lugs loosened on one wheel which caused a vibration and wiped out the bearings. I've seen many tires/rim including complete separation, or shearing studs off and the bearings were fine. His trailer had cheap Chinese bearings and they don't survive unless everything is running true.

I would do what your planning, buck up for a good set. If that only lasts the same as last ones, do the mod.

Big Buford
02-11-2013, 03:21 AM
The real bitch is which company do you trust to do the right thing ahead of profits? I have sealed bearings on my 5er and don't care for them. After taking one apart that had some play, there is such little room to get any grease in them its scary. Wish I could help more, but what was good last year may not be this year.... It really sucks !

Mustard Gas
02-11-2013, 03:28 AM
:dude:To expand on this, China has all the proper equipment to make exact tolerance parts. Where they shave the price is in quality of materials or skipping steps in the manufacturing process to increase their profits and lower the cost of an item.

Good example is Dennis flatbed trailer. The lugs loosened on one wheel which caused a vibration and wiped out the bearings. I've seen many tires/rim including complete separation, or shearing studs off and the bearings were fine. His trailer had cheap Chinese bearings and they don't survive unless everything is running true.

I would do what your planning, buck up for a good set. If that only lasts the same as last ones, do the mod.

high desert
02-28-2013, 01:17 AM
Change of plans: After adding up the cost of bearings and new inner and outer cv joints, I decided to buy a complete oem driveshaft assembly.
Close to the same cost and everything from the outer cv joints to the housing will be new.

KxRdr
02-28-2013, 01:44 AM
Change of plans: After adding up the cost of bearings and new inner and outer cv joints, I decided to buy a complete oem driveshaft assembly.
Close to the same cost and everything from the outer cv joints to the housing will be new.

I would be happy to help with bearings Wes for futures. Sorry I didn't see this thread until today.

QH
02-28-2013, 04:52 AM

Should have let me know Wes, we get a decent discount on OEM Polaris stuff.

high desert
02-28-2013, 09:04 PM
I would be happy to help with bearings Wes for futures. Sorry I didn't see this thread until today.

Thanks Steve, I'll keep that in mind. :dude:

Should have let me know Wes, we get a decent discount on OEM Polaris stuff.

Shit! Didn't even think of you. :banghead:
I'll come to you first next time...thanks for the offer! :dude:
I did get a pretty good price through Cheap Cycle Parts though.

QH
03-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks Steve, I'll keep that in mind. :dude:

Shit! Didn't even think of you. :banghead:
I'll come to you first next time...thanks for the offer! :dude:
I did get a pretty good price through Cheap Cycle Parts though.

No worries, if it's a big ticket item, might be able to save you some coin next time.