PDA

View Full Version : Red Max Pro floor polish

Big Buford
07-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Going to do the front cap and lower plastic molding around the rig this weekend. Will report back on results. Many have used with great results :vib:

Restoring the finish of an older motorhome using Red Max Pro:

Materials:
-Red Max Pro (Step 3) Low Maintenance Floor Finish (available at Lowes)
-Bar Keeper’s Friend (powdered)
-TSP (powdered)
-3M scrubbies (white)
-White Microfiber rags
-Latex gloves

Preparing the surface is the most important part, since anything left on the surface will be sealed under the Red Max Pro acrylic coating. Start by washing your motorhome as you normally would, making sure to include the roof, rinsing well from the top down.

Now, you want to remove any and all stains, soiling, oxidation, and chalkiness from the surface of the motorhome. Dip a white 3M scrubbie into water and then sprinkle Bar Keeper’s Friend on it. Scrub the surface of the motorhome, rinsing the scrubbie and re-applying the BKF often. Do small areas at a time, rinsing well with water and a sponge as you go. I used a "flow-thru" brush with a hose to rinse the BKF thoroughly as I went.

The next step is to make sure that there is absolutely no remaining wax on the motorhome, since wax can cause the Red Max to peel. Mix up a bucket of TSP (1/2 cup) in water (2 gal), and wash the entire motorhome. You can use a carwash brush, a sponge, a pressure washer…anything you would normally use. Rinse well, and let the motorhome dry completely. You should be left with a clean and smooth (although dull) surface. Congrats, the prep-work is now complete!

Now for the easy part. Pour some Red Max Pro (RMP) into a shallow container (a pie pan works well). Fold a microfiber rag to about hand-sized, dip into the RMP (trust me, use gloves!), and squeeze out the excess. How much/how wet? You want it more than damp, but less than dripping. Now simply wipe down the surface of the motorhome with the wet rag. Don’t try to over-apply; just wet the surface (imagine wiping a layer of dust off with a wet rag). It really doesn’t matter whether you wipe horizontally, vertically, or in circles; RMP is very thin/watery and you are just trying to “wet” the surface. Work your way all the way around the motorhome. RMP will dry quickly; before you’ve gone all the way around, it will be dry and you can immediately start on the next coat.

That first coat will likely look really bad; streaky, shiny in some places, dull in others…don’t panic. Each additional coat will even it out and start to build up a deep layer of shine. By coat 3, you will be grinning ear to ear. And coat 4 will be the icing on the cake. Not only will your RV shine like it hasn’t shined in years, it will be a deeper color as well. Even old. faded, cracked graphics will have a new lease on life! All for about $30!

Things (I learned) to keep in mind:

-Don’t use colored microfiber rags unless they have been laundered, as the color may bleed.

-Be careful around window frames, locks, latches, etc., as the RMP will have a tendency to gather and cause runs. Watch for runs and give them a quick wipe before they start to “set up”.

-Some older, deteriorated graphics may “bleed” color onto the rag. If you noticed any bleeding during the BKF or TSP stage, then do a quick single coat of RMP across the graphics first, which will seal them up. Then go ahead and apply the RMP on the rest of the coach (including graphics) as per the tutorial.

-After each coat, go around and open/operate all hatches, locks, catches, etc. The acrylic (RMP) coating will sort of “glue” them closed.

-You can also do the window frames and other painted metal areas; in fact, I did my entire Class C cab since, like the rest of my RV, it was also very faded and dull. Came out fantastic!

Big Buford
07-07-2011, 02:02 PM
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv159/4x4van/ScreenShot032.jpg

Bout 30 bucks for everything. Need to shine up the kitchen and bath floor too.

Nayther
07-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I'll be waiting on some before and after photos on this BB. My front cap and tailgate need some TLC.

jackxclan
07-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Geter done BB then I wanna know how it takes UV and how it holds up to washing.

thmTerry
07-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I want to see too:D

CHAIN_DOGG
07-08-2011, 11:07 PM
. -Latex gloves

!

http://www.gordonswaby.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/condom.jpg http://i55.tinypic.com/20zzkmp.jpg

jws
07-08-2011, 11:09 PM
I want to see too:D

Think he said he was going to write a story for ToyHaulerAdventure:buford:

ssduane
07-08-2011, 11:28 PM
sounds like to much work, I'd just buy a new trailer. :vib:

jws
07-08-2011, 11:30 PM
sounds like to much work, I'd just buy a new trailer. :vib:

:vib::vib::vib::vib::vib:

Big Buford
07-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Turned out bitchin ! Do buy a throw away pie plate to put the wax in. Vickis cooking pot lid has a nice shiney coat on it now :vib:

Prob best to not do in direct sunlight either. Can see where some of it dried too fast. Put last coat on in the shade shines better than new. Very easy to do. Small learning curve on the amount you need to wet the rag your using to apply. Longest report of someone doing this is 3 years, no peeling or yellowing.

I was tired of messing with the cap, wax would last a couple months at best. Can use a stripper to take it off if ever needed.

Sum bitch looks sharpe :buford:

Big Buford
07-09-2011, 12:23 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/20zzkmp.jpg

Looks just like my neighbor across the street when he saw it :dude:

SoCal
07-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Turned out bitchin ! Do buy a throw away pie plate to put the wax in. Vickis cooking pot lid has a nice shiney coat on it now :vib:

Prob best to not do in direct sunlight either. Can see where some of it dried too fast. Put last coat on in the shade shines better than new. Very easy to do. Small learning curve on the amount you need to wet the rag your using to apply. Longest report of someone doing this is 3 years, no peeling or yellowing.

I was tired of messing with the cap, wax would last a couple months at best. Can use a stripper to take it off if ever needed.

Where are the pics?:ass:

thmTerry
07-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Hard to see pics BB. E-mail them to me. :dude::dude:

2BH
07-09-2011, 02:05 AM
I'll be waiting on some before and after photos on this BB. My front cap and tailgate need some TLC.

X2!

ssduane
07-10-2011, 04:18 AM
come do my shit, I'll have a handy on hand.

Driveline79
01-30-2012, 04:57 PM

How's this holdin up :buford:, I'm gettin ready to wax mine up, needs some revival from the couple of years it sat.

Big Buford
01-30-2012, 05:14 PM
How's this holdin up :buford:, I'm gettin ready to wax mine up, needs some revival from the couple of years it sat.

Highly recommended ! Three guys on my street have done it. Follow the directions for cleaning, wipe on and your done. Will look like new :vib: takes three or four coats, best in applied in shade.

Gallon jug will do 2-3 rigs.

Big Buford
01-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Upside is when your done, u r done. Spend hours waxing and 2-3 months later it will look the same as it does now.

Driveline79
01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Upside is when your done, u r done. Spend hours waxing and 2-3 months later it will look the same as it does now.

Sweet, thanks. Think I'm gonna do it this week. Holly is pretty stripped down and oxidized, want her to look good/last long :boob:, so this looks like the way to go. Will take before and afters......

lq9hd
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
While your at it throw some of this shit on your rubber roof and all your plastics.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/65/303-aerospace-protectant.cfm

CHAIN_DOGG
01-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Im going to hire a wino to wax mine.....I'll feed him cheap bottles of ripple, boones farm, and when he is almost done, im going to give him 5 bucks, and send him to Mc donalds across the street drunk......Nothing like Watching a wino stagger, and try to avoid cars on a busy street..Best entertainment money can by.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1574654120753&id=0a97619567e038251ec6ca0c936e94d7

http://www.themoralliberal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Wino.jpg

2BH
01-30-2012, 06:44 PM
How would this stuff work on a filon fiberglass cap? I don't have the fancy abs plastic cap like your Duner Chaser does.

Big Buford
01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Believe my rear door is filon, front cap is gel coated fiberglass. Did both of them. After several months it looks like the day I put it on. Shining like a baby's ass :buford:

2BH
01-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Believe my rear door is filon, front cap is gel coated fiberglass. Did both of them. After several months it looks like the day I put it on. Shining like a baby's ass :buford:

Does it make it any easier to get those dead bugs off your baby's ass?

Big Buford
01-30-2012, 08:38 PM
On the utah trip, no. Hot as hell and baked um on. Weekend trips yes.

Driveline79
02-01-2012, 02:49 AM
This shits hard to find :vik: Looks like none of the Lowes have it in socal, they all have part 1, 2, and 4, but no 3. Walmart...no, Home depot...nope. I can get it shipped from Nevada Lowes. :gay:

Let ya'll know what I find. :coffee:

Big Buford
02-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Sounds about right, if it works outlaw it in ca :vik:

Big Buford
02-01-2012, 03:19 AM
This is supposed to be the same stuff, one makes it for the other.

http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring/ZEP/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1n9Zaq7r/R-100619257/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Looks like link is jacked up... but ZEP "wet look floor finish step 3" at homedepot is supposed to be the same stuff

Driveline79
02-03-2012, 12:42 AM
This is supposed to be the same stuff, one makes it for the other.

http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring/ZEP/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1n9Zaq7r/R-100619257/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Looks like link is jacked up... but ZEP "wet look floor finish step 3" at homedepot is supposed to be the same stuff

Sweet, I'll check it out, be the test pig. Anything has to help my house out!:boob: Thanks :buford:

Big Buford
02-03-2012, 01:44 AM
After cleaned, first coat sucks right in, second coat looks spotty, third and fourth coat looks great :vib: Dont need to put it on heavy, watch for streaks.

No hard work at all, just wipe it on :dude:

2BH
02-03-2012, 02:51 AM
After cleaned, first coat sucks right in, second coat looks spotty, third and fourth coat looks great :vib: Dont need to put it on heavy, watch for streaks.

No hard work at all, just wipe it on :dude:

I think you should show me. I'll buy the beer.

Big Buford
02-03-2012, 03:27 AM
I think you should show me. I'll buy the beer.

Any time come on down :ftt:

Big Buford
02-03-2012, 03:31 AM
Sweet, I'll check it out, be the test pig. Anything has to help my house out!:boob: Thanks :buford:

You could probably skip the tsp wash, dont think there's much wax build up on your rig :buford:

ssduane
02-03-2012, 03:34 AM

called out, come on

You could probably skip the tsp wash, dont think there's much wax build up on your rig :buford:

same thing I told him the other day. :buford:

2BH
02-03-2012, 03:42 AM

See you on Vets Weekend :buford:

show and tell in the dez:dude:

Driveline79
02-03-2012, 04:05 PM

same thing I told him the other day. :buford:[/QUOTE]

Yea, I didn't bother buying any, just gonna wash real good, seal in the decals, then get to waxing. Sat project. :coffee:

Big Buford
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I would definately use the bar keppers friend and 3m white scrubbing pad. Gets all the dirt off the surface before you seal it in. Would recommend not skipping that part. Rinse good after washing.

Driveline79
02-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Well, spent almost the whole day on this. Scrubbed the shit out of it, looked like milk running down the driveway. Got 4 coats on her, she looks good. Little streaky, but it'll protect it nicely. Put a little paint on the tongue and the ass end. Ready to go for pres, is it time yet? :boob:

Big Buford
02-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Yep, easy to think a thicker coat might be better. Thin coats work best, will sag or run otherwise :ftt:

Driveline79
02-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Little hard to see the difference in pictures, but definitely noticable in person.

Before wash, strip n wax
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r517/driveline79/Holly%20the%20Hauler/2012-02-04082138.jpg
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r517/driveline79/Holly%20the%20Hauler/2012-02-04082118.jpg

Final result
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r517/driveline79/Holly%20the%20Hauler/2012-02-05080747.jpg
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r517/driveline79/Holly%20the%20Hauler/2012-02-05080926.jpg

Big Buford
02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
:dude: Easy to see in the 2nd and fourth pic. Reflection only in window on the second, whole trailer on the fourth :ftt:

rf4
02-07-2012, 06:53 PM
nice that someone finally washed the strappy off that trailer :dude:

thmTerry
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
we did the front cap and rear door this weekend!!!Wow looks better then new.

We want to do the sides now but are concerned about yellowing. We are in the heat of the desert. Buford any signs of yellowing?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p317/thmterry/mischousepictures052.jpg

Big Buford
05-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Nope, no signs of yellowing.

My sides are alum so I didnt do those, easy to bring back with a coat of wax.

Big Buford
02-22-2015, 09:30 PM
Thought I'd bring this thread back up. Floor wax held up great for three years! Went to home depot today and got a gal of zep concentrated floor wax stripper $10 bucks. Took off old faded finish like butter. Will recoat tomorrow. Happy as hell with the stuff and so easy to use :)

truggyboy
02-23-2015, 02:50 AM
Thought I'd bring this thread back up. Floor wax held up great for three years! Went to home depot today and got a gal of zep concentrated floor wax stripper $10 bucks. Took off old faded finish like butter. Will recoat tomorrow. Happy as hell with the stuff and so easy to use :)

:dude:

Big Buford
02-23-2015, 03:11 AM
:dude:

Yes, one of my fears putting the stuff on was what would happen if it yellowed or needed to be removed. Would it screw up the original finish trying to clean it all up?

After using the stripper today, no more worries. Right back to the way it was before I coated it. No rubbing, scrubbing or work involved. Mixed up according directions, put in spray bottle, Spray on, wipe with white scrubbie and hose off.

Surface was sealed by floor finish so it is ready to be recoated. Wipe on and call it done for another 3 years.

toolio
02-23-2015, 03:34 AM
.... BB, so you can apply it in the rain?? http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/style_emoticons/default/ng.gif