PDA

View Full Version : generator help

Nayther
02-25-2011, 03:39 PM
got nowhere on the "other" site so thought you guys might know what to do. Onan 5500 quit last weekend. Started it up when we got there and it ran for about an hour then quite and will not refire. Code says "32" which is "low cranking speed". That makes no sense as it was running just fine. It seems to turn over plenty fast enough just won't stay running when you release the starter. I just changed the oil and filter before the trip, oil is right to the top. I did use a Wix filter, not the OEM, would that make a difference? The reason I ask is one of the remedies in the manual is to change the oil to less viscosity, I used Valvoline 10-40 like always. There's about 300 hours on the gennie.

thmTerry
02-25-2011, 03:45 PM
turn the breakers off on genny and see if it runs then. That will tell you if it is a motor problem or a possible bad circuit board

ssduane
02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
are you sure you are reading the code correctly? flashing lights right?

can pull a plug and check for spark and also try manipulating the throttle by hand while starting. Also check to make sure the altitude adjustment is set correctly.

jws
02-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Dogg was having same problem in Mammoth last year......

My fuel pump went out in Mammoth, WW had that thing In a bitch of a place to get out of (Bottom of generator, above the Trailer frame) I had to take the filter off, (What a bitch) Then remove the 90 degree fitting going upward to carb before i could remove it. I did a little research on the web, and found a $49 dollar replacement from Auto Zone. 12 volt, 4-7 pounds. I relocated the pump and filter to make replacement of either a whole lot easier. The part number is Airtex E8016S. Ran the generator for over 3 hours with both A/C Units on, She ran like a Champ ! Onan wants over a hundred bucks for the Original. I mounted the Pump to one of the Holding tanks supports. The pump comes with Support clamp / Fittings/ Electrical crimps / fuel line clamps. I just had to buy a in line filter, and wire loom to cover the wire from extending it thru the generator compartment, and 4' of 1/4 fuel line.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/HEY_DOGG/fuelpump.jpg

:vib::vib::vib::vib:

jws
02-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Did you try starting it at the Genny??? Push in the choke shut off and see if that gets you started. I know Steve and I replaced ours on the 5500.

plunger at the top
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii248/coribdx/Genset2010003.jpg

s@ndm@n
02-25-2011, 04:41 PM
fuel filters were my last problem... I have 2 inline and one on the pump. Different blink code, but same symptom, turns over, wont stay running. Also a 5500 Onan.

Before that, last problem was my carb was really gummed up, and the butterfly would stick. Also same symptom, or very close to the same (would exhibit different things each time it quit... sometimes would run for 15-20 minutes fine, sometimes wouldnt start...)

Nayther
02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure I'm reading the blinking light correctly, per the manual. I checked fuel flow to the carb and it seems fine, pumps pretty good when trying to start. I also thought it might be a choke or speed issue so manipulated the linkage while trying to start locally, could tell it made a difference by the sound but still no runny. I have not pulled a plug and check for spark, that's next unless......

I called an old acquantance that is an Onan service center, worked on it when it was under warranty, he told me that there is a real small wire inside the control panel that is notorious for breaking on the 5500. Its the wire coming from the speed sensor, hence the "low cranking speed" error code. Makes sense so I'll inspect that, hopefully that's all it is and an easy fix.

I'll let you all know the results.

s@ndm@n
02-25-2011, 08:01 PM
good to know. Let us know!

J.T.
02-25-2011, 08:15 PM
thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure I'm reading the blinking light correctly, per the manual. I checked fuel flow to the carb and it seems fine, pumps pretty good when trying to start. I also thought it might be a choke or speed issue so manipulated the linkage while trying to start locally, could tell it made a difference by the sound but still no runny. I have not pulled a plug and check for spark, that's next unless......

I called an old acquantance that is an Onan service center, worked on it when it was under warranty, he told me that there is a real small wire inside the control panel that is notorious for breaking on the 5500. Its the wire coming from the speed sensor, hence the "low cranking speed" error code. Makes sense so I'll inspect that, hopefully that's all it is and an easy fix.

I'll let you all know the results.

I was thinking some type of Sensor too. based on the way you described the problem.

CHAIN_DOGG
02-25-2011, 10:28 PM
If you crank that generator with the Fuel line unhooked, and the fuel ain't shooting like me in High School....u might have a pump problem, mine would give me a little fuel, but peter out under pressure

Nayther
02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Well now it won't even turn over, went looking for the broken wire, took the control panel off, found nothing, put it back together and nothing. Waiting on a call back from Oliphant's to take it in, looks like I'll have to dig into the wallet for this one.

ssduane
02-28-2011, 06:00 PM
keep us up to date, and pics of the wire to if you happen to find it.

truggyboy
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
I thought that wire was the same one that John and Chris had the problem with on their gennie.

rf4
02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
we ended up having to replace the board. We tried fixing several things, then called in a mechanic, who told us that the mb will throw off different codes when it is going out, so you end up fixing a whole bunch crap that you don't need to. Replaced MB and no more problems.

Nayther
03-02-2011, 10:07 PM
appointment for 3/7, will let you know what he finds. I've known this guy for 15 years so he's real fair and all he does is work on small engines/generators. Name of the place is Oliphant's and its on Sherman Way. Dude's name is Larry.

Nayther
03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Not good news. Brushes are shot at 300 hours, WTF? Said it was probably due to all the dust and sand, WTF? That's the good part, the bad part is there's something else broken, coupling or belt or ?. In any event the unit has to come out. Looks like about a $800.00 repair! Boy the DW is going to be PISSED.

jws
03-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Not good news. Brushes are shot at 300 hours, WTF? Said it was probably due to all the dust and sand, WTF? That's the good part, the bad part is there's something else broken, coupling or belt or ?. In any event the unit has to come out. Looks like about a $800.00 repair! Boy the DW is going to be PISSED.

Damn bro - that sucks

truggyboy
03-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Damn bro - that sucks

X2, thats a bummer

Nayther
03-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Don't know if I made the right decision but its fixed and is super quiet now/again. Pretty extensive repairs $900.00!

There are two bearings in the generator section, one at the bottom that acts as a thrust and rotational bearing and one at the very top that is rotational only, you can see the aluminum housing it sits in, its where the cooling fan is located. The upper bearing failed, taking out the housing with it. Since it was all apart the coupling was upgraded to a newer version (weak link item) the belt changed and the belt tensioner/idler replaced (another known weak/frequently failed item). This along with the brushes, over $200.00 in parts. The killer is the labor though, $110.00/hr. I wish I could charge that much for my service work, and we make "house calls"!

Bottom line is I'm looking for a service manual for this baby, not going to pay that kind of money for labor again.

He thinks the premature failures are due to the excessive dust/dirt and suggested I blow out the gennie before using it after towing down long dirt roads. What a PITA that will be. Considering rigging up a filter for the air intake instead.

I was just at Benlo R.V. at lunch to get some potty chems and they have a Dometic 3000 inverter gennie for $900.00. It's a little louder than a Honda (64 vs 58 db) but for that price it's real nice. They pulled it out and started it up for us, electric start, etc. just like the Honda.

Maybe should have spent the money on that instead ???????????

Big Buford
03-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Wow, think I'll blow mine out tonight and see how much dust is in there.

Derwud
03-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Don't know if I made the right decision but its fixed and is super quiet now/again. Pretty extensive repairs $900.00!

There are two bearings in the generator section, one at the bottom that acts as a thrust and rotational bearing and one at the very top that is rotational only, you can see the aluminum housing it sits in, its where the cooling fan is located. The upper bearing failed, taking out the housing with it. Since it was all apart the coupling was upgraded to a newer version (weak link item) the belt changed and the belt tensioner/idler replaced (another known weak/frequently failed item). This along with the brushes, over $200.00 in parts. The killer is the labor though, $110.00/hr. I wish I could charge that much for my service work, and we make "house calls"!

Bottom line is I'm looking for a service manual for this baby, not going to pay that kind of money for labor again.

He thinks the premature failures are due to the excessive dust/dirt and suggested I blow out the gennie before using it after towing down long dirt roads. What a PITA that will be. Considering rigging up a filter for the air intake instead.

I was just at Benlo R.V. at lunch to get some potty chems and they have a Dometic 3000 inverter gennie for $900.00. It's a little louder than a Honda (64 vs 58 db) but for that price it's real nice. They pulled it out and started it up for us, electric start, etc. just like the Honda.

Maybe should have spent the money on that instead ???????????

I'm sorry you went by where??? My R.V. store....

For $900, that Dometic sounds nice!! I miss my Yamaha 3000 watt Genny..

truggyboy
03-09-2011, 11:58 PM
That sicks, at least its fixed.

Big Buford
03-10-2011, 04:14 AM
Blow report :buford:

About what I expected blew out of the gen compartment. Mostly dust and a little bit of sand.

I will say I got kinda a funny feeling blowing it out... Almost a damned if you do and damned if you dont. Makes you feel like your possibly dislodgeing dirt that has setteled and blowing it into the bearings or places it shouldnt be going?

There is really no way to get a good shot at the armature housing except for a few slots on the top of the unit. Cant see a damn thing on the lower portion of it.

Dont think i'd use an air nozzle on the compressor anymore like i did this time, maybe better to use a electric leaf blower so not as high pressure directed in any area?

One other thought came to mind while thinking about it tonight. How much time did you run your genny when it was windy outside? I could see, after camping in the dez and pismo, if one were to retreat into their rig with a wind storm going you would suck ALOT of shit into the genny. The wind swirls under the rig and picks up much larger grit than normal road dust. ?

In that situation it might be much better to use an inverter or inverter genny (HONDA) to power tv and such till the wind slows down.

thoughts? :buford:

Nayther
03-11-2011, 06:30 PM
BB,
You could be right, many times have retreated to the hauler and watched a movie when blown out, will probably use the inverter more from now on in that condition. The first time I noticed it was louder was in November, at an enduro, when the wind was blowing big time. From that time on it made a rattling/humming noise that was noticeable. I tried to pinpoint the noise but could not, now I know. I'm going to look at adding some type of filter on the cooling air intake, kind of like an A/C filter or something maybe one that can be removed for travel but even better would be one that stays in place as there is so much dust kicked up from towing, I think more comes from that.